A DEVOTIONAL GUIDE FOR “THE TEN TIMELESS VALUES FOR DISCIPLESHIP”


Value 9- Week 3                                            Witness

Word:             “The next day Jesus decided to go to Galilee.  He found Philip and said to him, ‘Follow me’.  Now Philip was from the city of Bethsaida, the city of Andrew and Peter.  Philip found Nathaniel and said to him, ‘We have found him about whom Moses and the prophets wrote, Jesus son of Joseph from Nazareth.’  Nathaniel said to him, ‘Can anything good come out of Nazareth?’  Philip said to him, ‘Come and see.’”                                                           John 1:43-46

Reflection:  Friendship Evangelism

      Witness is for the purpose of evangelism.   What we witness to is the good news of Jesus Christ in hopes of bringing others into a saving relationship with God through Christ.  The problem in our churches today is that the word evangelism conjures up images of “cold calling” (knocking on strangers doors asking if they died tonight do they know where they would end up-  to which an unchurched friend I cultivated a relationship with responded, “down at the funeral home, I’ve already made my arrangements”), passing out tracts (with really scary comic book images of grim reapers or demons), strange loud people on street corners with signs and bullhorns, or putting up signs in my yard that read, “Jesus is coming soon, are you ready?”  We still ask pastors in the ordination service Wesley’s historic question, “Will you visit house to house?”, but it is a very different day where you better have some thick skin if you want to do door to door sales.  While pure percentages say that if you knock on enough doors sooner or later somebody will buy what you are selling (the Mormon theory), I’m not sure that was the original Biblical model for evangelism. 

     In the New Testament, the first witnesses to Jesus didn’t go to street corners or strangers doors; they went to their friends and family to share what they had experienced. Peter went and told his brother Andrew and Philip went and found his friend Nathaniel.  And all they did was offer a simple invitation to come and see for themselves and make up their own mind.  The only reason they accepted the invitation to “come and see” was the relationship they had to the one who invited them.  Out of relationships trust is built and an openness to listen is developed.  Think about it this way; if I come out of the store and somebody put a flyer for new restaurant on my car window I’m not that likely to eat there.  But, if my friend says, “hey I went to that new restaurant and it was great, do you want to go with me tomorrow?”, then there is a good chance I’ll go to try it out. 

   One of the problems we have in the church is that all often our friends and family are already in the church.  What is missing is the intentional cultivation of relationships with new people with whom I might share my faith over time.  These days few of us know our neighbors next door much less three doors down, and haven’t made any effort to introduce ourselves or welcome a new family when we see the moving truck down the street.  These days, evangelism and witness is all about relationship building, a consistent witness over time by word and deed, and simple invitations to “come and see” for yourself.

Practice:  This week pay attention at work to who I see often but I’ve never tried to get to know and walk through my neighborhood and see how many homes there are near me whose occupants I’ve never met.  Pray over the faces and places and ask God to put on my heart who to try and meet and for the courage to do it.

Comments

Leave a Reply